Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Prison Dollar Breaky


Two years and some odd months ago I began a relationship with the hit Fox TV show Prison Break. I began watching the show a little into the third season. While I wasn’t completely sure who all the characters were or how the plot had progressed to this point, the mixture of intelligence with suspense and action were enough to make me an addict from almost the very beginning. I continued to watch through the end of that season and looked forward to seeing what would happen in the fourth. I should mention that I had started watching the show with my friend, Jason. As the fourth season commenced he decided that he wanted to watch the first couple of seasons that we had not seen before he started with the new one. I couldn’t wait and watched the fourth while he and I, along with his wife, caught up on the previous seasons.  

Fast forward some time and I, very unfortunately, found out that the show would be cancelled at the end of the current season. What was to be the season finale had now become the series finale. I must admit that as the season had unfolded I found myself wondering how they could possibly dig themselves out of the current storyline and make for a realistic and satisfying ending. The two hour finale started with all of the drama and suspense I could have hoped for and I quickly moved to the edge of my seat. Near the end I found myself content with the path they had taken. Although it was a bit unbelievable, given what they had to work with and needing to finish the show they had done about the best that they could. T-Bag had been put back in jail and the rest of the main characters were freed of all charges. A subtitle on the screen indicates that time has moved forward four years since then and it seems that there is some kind of reunion forming. As the characters leave their loved ones you see that they are gathering in Panama. This is shaping up to end just the way I wanted. But, wait a second. Where’s Michael? Everyone seems to be here but him. He had that nose bleed on the beach, but that had to have had something to do with the stress of everything going on. He had surgery to have the problem with his brain fixed earlier in the season. What are they all looking at?

WHAT?! Michael is dead? This just went to being the worst show ever. It is the TV equivalent to what Million Dollar Baby is to the movie world. I heard rave reviews about the movie. Talk of all the awards it was going to get was everywhere. I decided that it was time that I should check it out. Worst ending ever. Again, another great start with a crushing ending. If you’ve seen it you know exactly what I’m talking about. If not, please do not waste your time. The blow I felt at the end of that movie was only a small percentage of the hurt and betrayal I felt at the end of Prison Break. I think I very well might have cried had I not been screaming so much. Look at what you’ve done to me Prison Break--look at me. Or should I say Prison Dollar Breaky…

Love-
   Derek

3 comments:

  1. Jason was pretty upset the whole night after we watched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Derek,

    This is the second time this week I've heard about how crappy the ending is of "Million Dollar Baby." It must be bad. I like that you refer to watching TV shows as relationships because I tell people that I broke up with Heroes. Keep writing Hofmann!

    Sincerely,
    Lindsay Keller

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete